Saturday, April 14, 2018

Saturday at Point Roberts and Blackie Spit

Point Roberts

There had been reports of a Herring run at Point Roberts on Thursday and Friday. This usually causes a feeding frenzy with ducks, Brant geese and gulls massing close to shore. I missed that excitement, but there were good numbers of birds still around on Saturday morning.

Normally you can see Red-breasted Merganser but not too close to shore. Today they were well within camera range, including this male.

Red-breasted Merganser - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

The male met up with its mate and I had the good luck to get this shot. I was using the Nikon in single shot mode and happened to click at just the right time.

Red-breasted Merganser - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

There are always Harlequin Ducks here from fall to spring, but the numbers today were unusually high. I counted 22 males and females in a small area.

Here's a few shots of their antics.

Harlequin Duck - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA



It may be the case that they are paring up as they get ready to head inland for breeding season.


Another signature bird at Point Roberts is the Pelagic Cormorant. In the winter it's hard to identify them, but in spring the telltale white patch on the rump is obvious.

Pelagic Cormorant - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

Surf Scoters are also seen in numbers here. I keep looking for the occasional Black Scoter in the mix but have not seen one here yet.

Surf Scoter - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

After leaving the park I drove around Point Roberts and got my first Savannah Sparrow photos for the year. I'd seen one in the Okanagan the week before, but only through a scope.

Savannah Sparrow - Point Roberts, Wa

I took this very short movie of one calling.


Blackie Spit, Surrey

There wa a rare bird alert for a Vesper Sparrow at Blackie Spit at Crescent Beach in Surrey. I diverted there to see if I could get lucky.

Upon arrival I met a junior birder and his father and they had seen the bird in the last 15 - 20 minutes. We did relocate the bird and I got some shots of it. It wa a year bird for me.

Vesper Sparrow - Blackie Spit, Surrey BC - 2018 Bird #135


We also briefly saw an Anna's Hummingbird - nice to get them away from feeders.

Anna's Hummingbird - Blackie Spit, Surrey BC 

That ended Saturday, Sunday would be an awesome day of birding as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment