Saturday, March 24, 2018

Saturday Wanderings

Richmond Girl Guide Camp


I started this day by travelling to Richmond in Hopes of seeing the White-winged Crossbills that had been seen at the south end of Railway Avenue near the Fraser River.

But first, I stopped at the Girl Guide camp where I'd seen the Blue Jay in hopes of finding a Mourning Dove. I'd seen one there last December. I had no luck with either the Blue Jay or the Dove, but took a couple of good shots of other birds at the location.

This is a good spot to see Fox Sparrow close-up.


Fox Sparrow - Woodward Landing, Girl Guide Camp, Richmond BC

It's also easy to see Steller's Jays here.


And here's a profile of a Jay:


Steller's Jay - Woodward Landing, Girl Guide Camp, Richmond BC

And finally a Towhee:


Spotted Towhee - Woodward Landing, Girl Guide Camp, Richmond BC

I spent some time at the Railway Avenue location but saw no Crossbills. I had an errand to run in New Westminster, and then headed east to check out Colony Farm Regional Park in Coquitlam.

Coquitlam - Colony Farm Regional Park


It was raining lightly, but I completed a full circuit of the park. There was very little bird activity other than a couple of Hooded Mergansers. First a movie of a female:


And here she is in profile:

Hooded Merganser (F) - Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

And one shot of the showy male:

Hooded Merganser - Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC


Delta - Boundary Bay


I returned to Delta and had time for a short visit to Boundary Bay. 


It was too early for high tide, so I concentrated on the birds along the dyke.

House Finch - Boundary Bay, Delta BC

Song Sparrow - Boundary Bay, Delta BC

Song Sparrow - Boundary Bay, Delta BC

A Harrier flew over my head hunting for its next meal.

Northern Harrier - Boundary Bay, Delta BC

There were some Green-winged Teal offshore.

Green-winged Teal - Boundary Bay, Delta BC


The Long-eared Owl was in its usual location (which I won't reveal here).

Long-eared Owl - Boundary Bay, Delta BC

The Owl appeared to be awake, so I took one more shot and left.




On my way home I saw my first year bird of the day, a Brewer's Blackbird.

Brewer's Blackbird - Delta BC - 2018 Bird #89

No comments:

Post a Comment