Sunday, February 25, 2018

Sunday at White Rock Pier

Last year I did not see a White-winged Scoter until near the end of year, even though they are frequently seen off the White Rock Pier. I decided to be pre-emptive this year and not miss this striking species of duck.

Parking's a bit messy around the Pier as the City is doing some renovations. You also have to be wary of trains rumbling through the area.



By far the most common of the Scoter family is the Surf Scoter. The male has very colourful and distinctive markings.


Surf Scoter - White Rock Pier, White Rock BC



There's almost always a Gull posing on the rails of the jetty.


Glaucous-winged Gull - White Rock Pier, White Rock BC

Near the end of the pier was a female Scaup. I believe it is a Greater Scaup.


Greater Scaup (F) - White Rock Pier, White Rock BC

Before I headed back, I went down some steps to water level. Looking up I caught this shot of a Rock Pigeon. I assume it was trying to get at a piece of food that had fallen through the cracks.

Rock Pigeon - White Rock Pier, White Rock BC

I started walking back still hoping for a White-winged Scoter. There were none in this group of Surf Scoters.

Surf Scoter - White Rock Pier, White Rock BC

Finally I saw a male White-winged Scoter in the distance. I zoomed out with the Nikon and got this poor quality shot.

White-winged Scoter - White Rock Pier, White Rock BC - 2018 Bird # 81

This shot is a bit better. I assume this is an immature male as the White marks around the eyes are missing.

White-winged Scoter - White Rock Pier, White Rock BC 

This was my last outing of the week and the month of February. I'll be back at it in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment